Answering A Popular Question- Is Homework Beneficial To Learning?
Many students think that homework is just a big waste of time. They think that it is just busy work that the teacher has them do. Most students believe that they shouldn’t have to do homework. Is it beneficial to learning?
- If it is used properly, it is very effective. The main purpose of doing it is to practice the concepts that you learned in school. You want to be able to apply what you are taught in class. When you complete the assignment, you are applying these skills and therefore creating a longer lasting knowledge of the information.
- It is a great way to gauge how well you are doing in comparison to the class. If you find that the work is too easy and that you are completing it too quickly, then you are either on course with the class or ahead of the class. The opposite goes if you are behind in class, you will likely be struggling with the homework as well.
- It is a great evaluation tool for your teacher. If the majority of the students did poorly on their homework, the teacher knows to teach that lesson or concept over instead of moving on to the next step. The assignments allow her to know whether the way she taught the concept was effective or not.
- One issue arises that makes homework obsolete and not beneficial to learning. If the student fails to understand the concept in class and they are asked to do the work on it, they may be practicing incorrectly. That is not a good thing because then they are actually making it worse. Also, if the student needs to get the work done and they don’t know how to do it, they may get the answers from someone else and then the results are skewed because they really don’t understand but you think that they did.
- The student should take notes in class on the topic and then when they get home, they will have a step by step guide to completing the work and then it will help them learn the concepts that they need to learn. Some teachers hand out the notes. This method is convenient for studying and will help the student effectively complete the homework. However, the student will learn better if they take notes by themselves.